Monday 16 November 2009

Music magazine

At the minute I'm quite undecided on what type of music i want to produce my magazine on, so instead I've research a different variety of magazines and music types to help me make my decision.














































































The pictures above all represent the theme of trance music. Trance is generally represented by logos, pictures and tags. The pictures above show the theme of nudity which is used a lot when advertising trance. Tattoo's are also very common within the theme of trance as you can see from Carl Kennedy at the top. I picked out these pictures as they show a good representation of trance so when i come to photographing my front cover i can justify why i did what i did.





Virtual music magazine shows a good overall look of how trance is shown and what theme it follows.





I have found ideas of magazine covers and spreads from both trance and other magazines that have inspired me.







This page spread inspired me because i like the way they have used dark colours as if it was at a festival and the way they have included a picture from a concert. As people are used in the image it shows what kind of atmosphere you experience when at festivals. I also like i the phrase 'for the love of house music'.





In this spread i like the way the image is on half of the page whilst the writing is on the other. This is promoting the DJ and also the writing is giving us an insight into his thoughts as he is writing it himself. This has inspired me to do a double page spread in my magazine from my DJ's point of view. I also think the border used makes the magazine look more appealing.







I like the images used as they are very seductive and fit in with the male gaze theory, which is the theme trance magazines tend to follow. The images make the magazine more appealing and this has created extra ideas for my front cover. I like the Vanity Fair page as Madonna stands out and is the first thing you look at.







I like the magazine cover on the right, the U2 one. I like the way their name is bigger than them, And as U2 are a very famous world wide band this is showing how big they are as a group. I like the colours used, they stand out and look attractive.








This contents page appeals to me because it has a variety of colours which makes the page look more attractive. It is also set out clearly, it includes images and summer blast dates. Its informative yet it isn't writing in long paragraphs.

2 comments:

  1. Laura.

    This is a link to an old web based trance magazine(s)

    http://entrancedigizine.com/

    http://www.trance.net/link/category/7/

    It seems slightly amateurish and if was graded as an A-Level piece of work would be around a D/E but it may have useful information for you.

    Trance may be too niche so you might have to expand your magazine into generic dance music style (though you could do a 'Trance' special edition).

    Mixmag might be more suitable

    http://www.mixmag.net/

    or

    http://www.djmag.com/

    Dance music is not a genre with which I am particularly familiar with so I apologise if any of the above is unsuitable or outdated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    you need to ensure that you comment on the differnet elements that you include in your initial research. What works and what doesn't for example. You have to show where your ideas have come from. Because your style of music is a sub genre the your task is slightly more difficult. You will need to be thorough in your approach to the task.

    ReplyDelete