Friday 12 February 2010

Mock up coursework


I am pleased with my first mock up of my front page. I like the background picture because it makes the writing and colour stand out more as it is black and white. I chose to photograph this picture in this style as many trance/dance/house/progressive music magazines and Cd's etc use tasteful pictures like the one above. As at most concerts their is a lot of jumping and dancing you get hot and sweaty which is why this theme of 'less clothing' is used. I told my model to stand to the side so the picture is less provocative and is not acting in the 'male gaze' theory, hence the reason she is not looking out making eye contact. I originally had the title of my magazine as hands up, but when designing the master head i found it took up too much of the magazine and the title 'UP' would look more effective. The word up symbolises the action of putting your hands up at a concert, people also tend to look up to the stage/set. When at a concert your mood and feelings also become happier, they go 'up'. I used a choice of three colours on the front because although dance music is usually a mixture of bright colours i didn't want the front of the magazine to look too over crowded. i desired it to be interesting but simple.



I chose to have a picture of Tiesto at the top on my mock up as i am hoping to get the same style of picture myself to use on my final piece. The effect on the picture also adds more detail which enables the contents to look more attractive. I also included a picture of a event in Goa which is very common for trance festivals. As i am including events in my magazine i thought this would attract the reader as everybody is interested in events. As my double page spread is on Georgina i thought it would be necessary to include on the contents page, so i chose a picture of her which is different to the one I'm using on the double page spread. I also like the black background on the contents and colour images and also colour text as at concerts/parties etc the lights are out and there is colour from strobe lights etc.


For my double page spread i chose to use the picture picture of Georgina's back as i think it is a creative picture and it grabs the attention of the reader as they turn the page. The master head 'Georgina' has green lines added into it, as it adds extra colour and it also looks quite tribal, which relates back to the Goa events. I left the right hand side black with one picture on because although the spread is on her, if i added to many pictures their wouldn't be enough room for a detailed interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment